Trade war escalates after U.S.-Canada negotiations collapse
The U.S. imposed 50% tariffs on a broad range of Canadian imports Saturday after Canadian negotiators walked out of talks late Friday. Canada announced matching retaliatory tariffs set to begin Sept. 8.
- $880 billion in goods and services flowed between the two countries last year.
- 50% tariffs cover hockey sticks, wine, cement, furniture parts, and hundreds of other products.
- Canada's retaliatory tariffs will target steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, and electronics.
- No new U.S.-Canada trade talks are scheduled, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said.
Why it matters: The breakdown deepens a trade war that has complicated relations between the two countries since early in Trump's second term. More than 70% of Canada's exports go to the U.S., leaving Canada more exposed than the U.S. to disruption.
- Legal challenges to the tariffs are expected. Critics argue Section 338 of the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act — the authority cited — was superseded by legislation passed in 1962 and 1974 and has not been used since at least the 1940s.
How 2 sources split on this story
Where they split: The core dispute is whether the talks collapsed over Canadian inflexibility — as the Trump administration argues — or over U.S. demands introduced late in negotiations, as Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney says.
Right coverage, 2 sources: The right is split: one outlet frames the collapse as Canadian intransigence against fair U.S. terms, while another calls the tariffs illegal executive overreach that damages the economy and a key alliance.
What’s next: Canada's retaliatory tariffs take effect Sept. 8 on steel, dairy, and other U.S. goods.
- Legal challenges to the Section 338 tariffs are anticipated; trade law specialists say courts should act quickly to limit harm.
- Will either government return to the negotiating table, and under what conditions?
- Will courts block the Section 338 tariffs, and how quickly?

