Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay Daily Mail £9.5m
Justice Matthew Nicklin ordered Harry and six co-claimants to pay £9.5 million ($13 million) to Associated Newspapers Ltd on Friday. The ruling follows the July dismissal of all unlawful information-gathering claims against the Daily Mail publisher.
- £34.5 million total was spent by Associated Newspapers defending the 11-week trial.
- £16 million in insurance coverage is available to the claimants.
- August 28 is the deadline for the interim payment.
- Claimants include Elton John, David Furnish, Liz Hurley, Sadie Frost, Simon Hughes, and Baroness Doreen Lawrence.
Why it matters: The loss ends Harry's third tabloid lawsuit. He won against the Daily Mirror in 2023 and settled with The Sun last year, but found no relief against Associated Newspapers.
- Nicklin found a shortage of evidence supporting the claims and noted reporting may have come from legitimate sources.
- Harry and Lawrence said in a joint statement the outcome was "a complete and obvious whitewash."
How 24 sources split on this story
Where they split: Coverage does not split on the facts; all outlets report the same ruling and figures.
Center coverage, 11 sources: The center presents the cost ruling as a straightforward legal outcome, foregrounding the upcoming UK return of Harry and Meghan as context.
Reuters3hPríncipe Harry e outros enfrentam conta milionária por ação judicial fracassada
Associated Press6hPrince Harry and 6 others must pay initial $13 million over failed invasion of privacy case
BBC News4hPrince Harry and six others ordered to pay Daily Mail publisher £9.5m
Billboard2hElton John & Others Forced to Repay $13M Legal Bill Following Hacking Lawsuit Loss
Deadline3hPrince Harry, Elton John & Other Privacy Case Claimants Ordered To Pay Daily Mail Publisher $13 Million
Jerusalem Post8mPrince Harry, other high profile claimants face multi million pound bill over failed lawsuitKSAKSAT 12 San Antonio6hPrince Harry and 6 others must pay initial $13 million over failed invasion of privacy case
USA Today22mPrince Harry, more celebs ordered to pay $13M after lawsuit lossWNWESH 2 News2hPrince Harry and 6 others must pay initial $13 million over failed invasion of privacy caseLeft coverage, 8 sources: The left emphasizes the scale of the financial blow to Harry and co-claimants and notes their claim that justice was denied.
The Independent3hPrince Harry and others hit with huge legal bill after losing Daily Mail case
Variety3hPrince Harry, Elton John and More to Pay $13 Million to Mail Publisher
CNN4hPrince Harry, Elton John and other celebrities hit with initial $13 million bill after losing case against UK tabloid
ABC News3hPrince Harry, defendants ordered to pay nearly $13M in failed UK tabloid case
MSNBC2hPrince Harry, 6 others must pay Daily Mail publisher initial $13 million over privacy caseTBGThe Boston Globe1hPrince Harry, other to pay $13 million over Daily Mail case
The Guardian4hPrince Harry and others ordered to pay interim £9.5m to Daily Mail publisher
The New York Times2hPrince Harry and Others Told to Pay Daily Mail Publisher $13 Million
Citizen Free Press1hPrince Harry and Elton John ordered to pay $13 million to Daily Mail.
Daily Mail4hPrince Harry and fellow claimants must pay millions to Daily Mail after judge rules their doomed hacking case was 'unreasonable to a high degree'
New York Post3hPrince Harry dealt financial blow ahead of his and Meghan Markle's UK move
Newsmax3hPrince Harry, 6 Others to Pay Daily Mail $13 Million
The Sun4hPrince Harry & celeb pals hit with first court bill of £9.5m after failed hacking case – ahead of return to UKWhat’s next: A future hearing will set the final total legal costs the group must pay.
- The publisher seeks costs on an indemnity basis, which could raise the claimants' total liability.
- How much will each individual claimant owe once costs are apportioned at the final hearing?
- Will the claimants appeal any aspect of Nicklin's ruling?